Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Ring

This poem was written by my son Joseph. I thought it worth posting and he gave me permission to do so. I hope you enjoy, even if it brings some tears.

Carolynn


The ring.

My promise, in words, was once made and then broken.
Maybe a ring is more than loves' token.
Yes, it is something much more incredible:
A symbol to see and feel the intangible!
It reminds the bearer of the giver's word,
And the giver of their promise conferred.

Love, like a ring, is not priceless;
Or else neither would any possess.
But love and a ring both cost quite a price,
If you've never lost either, please heed my advice.
Be glad that our love is measurable!
Otherwise, doubt makes it not pleasurable.

Can love exist without a ring?
Supposedly so.I
s a ring, to prove love, necessary?
I now say it is so.
Can one gauge the depth of ringless love?
Decidedly no!

So what if the ring is small?
It is surely better than none at all.
The weight or the size doesn't matter.
It's purpose is not to flatter.
A ring gives love validity.
Invalidated love shows timidity.
And true love is not timid or shy,
It is bold as a diamond! (quarter-carat or five.)

If I had done things right, I would have kissed her on the nose;
Then knelt and with a ring, used the following to propose:

If I am away at work or at war,
If we're sick or we're healthy, we're rich or we're poor,
If we have a big fight and I storm out the door,
If your memory fades and you feel insecure...
Then look at your hand, the hand I adore.
See and believe, don't doubt anymore.
For there hangs the ring that can only be yours.
It's proof of my love, my love that endures.

-Joe Scully

No comments:

Post a Comment